Thursday, December 4, 2008

How Latin Has Impacted My Education

As a history major focusing on the classics I have found Latin to be extremely helpful in my studies. Those who make it their living to study the classics use Latin to determine the past and to draw conclusions on some of our history's most important events. I see the impact Latin has when I am in my other classes and can translate names of books as well as some texts. Although I struggle when it comes to any language I have recently seen a great improvement in my understanding of the Language. I feel this is definitely one of the more important languages as it is viewed as the basis for all the Western culture. People call Latin a dead language, however this is misleading, Latin is very much alive in every language we speak. By learning Latin you can then have a better understanding of other languages such as Spanish and French. I look forward to continuing my education with the Latin language and improving upon my understanding of the language.
-Sean Phillips

No comments: