Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Latin Rocks My World

I took Latin in high school and absolutely loved it! I really wanted to take Latin in college, but I couldn't find any school that offered it until USF. Latin has helped me through the years with my science courses, with all kinds of writing/English tests, and I am now a Classical Civilizations major and it has already helped me do better in my classes. I know that I will be translating texts and reading coins often (I want to specialize in Ancient Rome) so now I will be able to translate things for myself. I also look forward to being able to read biblical texts in Latin.
Many times even members of my own family viewed my interest in Latin quizzically, considering that it's a "dead" language. However, I also took a year of German in college (which I thoroughly enjoyed) and I have found Latin to be much more useful in my field of study. Latin was a very good base for learning German and I think it made my other classes much easier. I plan on taking at least four semesters (hopefully all with Dr. M.).
-Heather Gustafson-

No comments: