Wednesday, December 3, 2008

A time worth remembering

I chose latin1 because I had always wanted to take it but it was no longer offered at my high school. Although the world has progressed a lot since Latin was used, I feel we have lost some of the important values and ideals of that time. It seems as though the people then were able to take life at a slower pace and truly experience life. Nowadays it seems impossible not to be consumed by the daily rush. We speed around in our cars so that we aren't minutes late to work at a job we probably do not enjoy everyday until our eventual end. It all seems so meaningless to me.
Latin has also been a way to look at the way languages have evolved and its interesting to see how the languages of today link together to Latin. I love the grammar of Latin, how word order and punctuation are not important. I am a science major and the petty details of English grammar have always bugged me. I hope I can keep up with my Latin studies and be better connected with a time we forget to often in our busy lives.

-Dustin Rose

No comments: