Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Why I Choose Latin

This is going to sound incredibly stupid but one of my reasons for studying Latin is that I discovered that Harry Potter books 1 & 2 are available in Latin, one day I want to be able to read them in Latin. Actually when I first transfered to USF I had considered taking Latin - I'm a history major and at the time wasn't sure what sort of history I was going to major in and thought that Latin would be helpful if I went into early European (I ended up in American, so just a little bit of a change) but had copped out for what I thought would be easier - French (btw, it's not easier), after not doing too well in French - an uninterested TA and hard to pronounce words - I ended up deciding to give Latin a try. I figured it nothing else I don't have to speak it too much, although it has turned out to be a pretty easy to speak language. I have since found Latin to be a bit helpful in my English vocabulary, it seems like after I learned a new word I saw its variation somewhere in another class's reading - laudable (from laudare) seemed to be the most common, but I also learned the word puerile, which I haven't yet had an opportunity to use but it's a nifty word anyways.

Looking forward to Latin II and one day HP in Latin (there are a number of other books available in Latin too, maybe one day those one too)

2 comments:

E Pluribus Unum said...

I suppose it would also be helpful if I left my name: Jennifer Shearer

E Pluribus Unum said...

Yes, Jennifer, this was a lovely post and I definitely wanted go give credit to the right person!

EM.