Monday, December 1, 2008

Latin

A lot of people think that I'm crazy for taking Latin since it's a "dead" language. I, on the other hand, am glad that I took the chance and embarked on this journey.
Although I could have taken the easy way out and just taken Spanish for my language requirement, I decided that I wanted a challenge! I wanted to take a class that would make me interested in another culture.
Latin has definitely done that for me. Not only has it opened my eyes to a new culture, but I've gotten the chance to translate one of my favorite stories... the story of Psyche and Cupid.
One last thing that Latin has given me this semester is that it has strengthened my foundation in English grammar. The only thing that sort of worries me is the various cases that I have to remember for Latin 2.
I will have a lot to study this Christmas break but it will all be worth it.
I can't wait for Latin 2 next semester!!

-Ingrid Morales

1 comment:

E Pluribus Unum said...

Ingrid,

I am so happy that the Cupid and Psyche story wasn't ruined for you despite the funky ilustrations of our textbook. I always thought of both of them as such aerial beings, and then when I saw these cartoonish figures, the whole story became such a farce!!

Looking forward to seeing you in the spring---and don't worry about those cases; this is why we have the practice sheets and oral recitations for!

EM.