Monday, December 1, 2008

Learning Latin...

For me learning Latin has been an interesting prospect. I've technically done my language requirement here at USF in Japanese (nihongo), so switching back from an Asian language back to a "normal" alphabet was actually a nice change of pace. Nothing like learning a language that is totally pictorial in representation.

Latin has definitely helped me in English. I remember vaguely learning the parts of speech waaaay back in middle school, and what each is technically supposed to do. So when the grammar started coming out rather quickly I felt that for the most part it wasn't totally foriegn to me. I think the hardest thing honestly is the scary cases. (I think that will be my "self-study for the winter break!) I also liked being able to see some of the connections to Roman Literature that I have covered in other classes, being a Classics major you tend to see a lot of translated pieces. So I really had alot of fun getting to translate the story of Troy and of Aeneas meeting (and eventually leaving) Dido. Looking foward to Latin II!

Semper,
Candis B.

1 comment:

E Pluribus Unum said...

Candis---

I know, the cases are the hardest part. Believe me, we will start with a BIG review session in January, and won't lose sight of the declensions. Practice Sheets and oral recitations daily, baby!

EM