Monday, December 1, 2008

Latin over the past couple months

Latin may be a "dead" language, but I am so glad I choose it to fulfill my language requirement! I wasn't sure how much I would get out of it, but it has turned out so well. I am a history major (emphasis on medieval studies) so even a very simple understanding of Latin has helped me already! Alot of historian authors quote Latin texts with no translation, but I've found I can get a basic understanding of most Latin quotations now.
Also, I think Latin will provide a great basis for going on to learn other languages. The similarities between Latin and Spanish are obvious, and I defintely need to learn Spanish (my boyfriend's family is Cuban!).


Shannon Murray

1 comment:

E Pluribus Unum said...

Thank you Shannon!

I didn't know that you were a history major (could I tempt you from the middle ages into the golden age of Classics, or is it too late?!).

Oh yes, the family will definitely bne impressed with your extended Spanish vocabulary! Every time I search for 'Latin' online I get all these 'Latin American' links---a good reminder that, for the West, it all goes back to Latin ultimately!

EM.