Sunday, September 23, 2007

Secret History


Lauren's comment on the 'Latin Made me Do it' ('Latina me iussit hoc facere'? 'Latina me compulit'?, 'Latina me fecit hoc facere'? Gimme some time here, and I will get it right and stylish...) urged me to recomend this excellent book to y' all (=vobis: it is the Dative case of VOS---and it means 'to you'---we will get to the dative soon, it will change your life!). Anyhoo, the book is called 'Secret History' and it is about a group of classics students in a small college in Vermont, who commit a series of heinous crimes urged by their readings in Greek (primarily) and Latin. I do not know how I lived without having read this excellent book (published in 1992). I mean, if you want to understand the tragic, deluded, sublime psyche of a classicist (or if you feel it stirring in you), you need to have a look, at least!
And if anyone finds any other books, movies, or other media that are classics related, please do share your recomendation here so that we can all know about it.

Ok, back to my coffee and grading---do not forget to send me any questions you have on chs. 8 and 39 respectively.


Salvete Omnes, atque Valete,


EM.

7 comments:

E Pluribus Unum said...

Can't wait to check out this book when I have some time to read for fun!!!
-Brandi

Sara C. said...

Ooh, that book looks rather interesting indeed!

I'm a huge fan of historical fiction (especially murder mysteries) and I really enjoy Rosemary Rowe's Libertus Mystery Series set in 2nd century Roman Britain; the hero is Longinius Flavius Libertus, an ex-slave turned mosaic-maker who solves murders, kidnappings, you name it. I think there are 9 books now in the series. They're really fun and quick reads (a nice break from conjugations, eh? :winks:).

E Pluribus Unum said...

Sounds awesome!
Stacey

Unknown said...

Thanks for the translation! I'm so going to make a shirt with it on it. Maybe we can persuade Rachael to create another one of her fabulous wall-art pieces for your office.

E Pluribus Unum said...

Sarah, many thanks for the book recomendation---I am always on the lookout for good historical fiction too, esp. if it is related to the Roman world. BTW, you guys do know that the classics club screens HBO's Rome in Marshal center, right? If you are interested in their activities, let me know and I can have you enrolled so that you find out more.

As for Rachael's art, I am a proud beneficiary (Rachael, do you have a picture of my plaque right? Please put it up here---and not out of vanity either! I want to share it with those who haven't come to my office).

Hmm...>>wonders how much it will sent on ebay once you become famous...several grant probably, but I wouldn't part with it for the world!

E Pluribus Unum said...

Yes, I sure do have a picture of the plaque. I'll put it up right away... Haven't checked the blog in quite a while.

LOL! Well, it would be nice to have a wider audience appreciate my wood plaques. I really do enjoy making them... Will have to look into that along with soap making, spinning and wool dyeing, after graduation... Perhaps I'll make my fortune on those four things. Wouldn't that be fun? I'm thinking of calling my soap company (as yet unformed and still a dream down the road) Mons Sapo or something.

E Pluribus Unum said...

Oh, that was me who just commented... Forgot to sign it...

~Rachael