Monday, July 30, 2007

School of Athens

This doesn't have anything to do directly with Latin, but the picture on page 85 of our text reminded me of it. This is actually one of my favorite paintings ever (I'm a Humanities major, lol) and when I thought of it I was hoping it might possibly be a depiction of the Academy that Quintus is studying philosphy at, but upon further research Raphael actually intended it to be a representation of an ideal community of intellects.



I think the thing that makes me love it so much (aside from its obvious aesthetic value) is that Raphael included all the great minds of the classical world: Plato, Aristotle, Socrates, et ceteri - even himself (how modest)!

I'm guessing that the part of the school extending into the background would be the atrium?

p.s. - Prof. Manolaraki: thank you so much for the detailed explanation of verb conjugations. It's a huge help. I'm just kicking myself for not persevering to find the answer sooner! :)

- Jessica G.

No comments: