Saturday, July 7, 2007

Moving on, at light speed




Salvete omnes--

Et gratias ago Racheli, notitiae suae--oh, wait, I need to switch languages here! Rachel, thank you so much for your previous post--informative and entertaining at once, as always! I don't know where you come up with those websites, but I laughed and laughed with those kitties. I too collect random pictures of cats with funny legends/contexts, so I am posting two here (give me a bit, and I will find a way to connect this to Latin!)

As for our reunion, I am game for that Friday at Bennigan's. I didn't manage to get into the myspace.com symposium, so do tell the people there yourselves. I wish I could send a collective e-mail, but Blackboard took away my access to the class list as soon as I handed your grades.

The title of the posting reflects my thoughts on the current class. I don't know if they even have time to check this board, seeing that we move on at turbo speed (we must, this is no teaching enthusiasm on my part---trust me!). We covered 3 chapters in the first week (Perfect, Imperfect, Pluperfect, Ablative and Accusative of time, numerals, did I mention the locative?!!) It's unbelievable. And what is more surreal is that they *take* to it immediatelly (summer Latin, if you are reading this, don't get on your high horse!). I am beginning to think I should restructure the semester- long class to pick up a little faster than we were moving on during this past year. What do y' all think? It's doable, that's for sure, but I would like to hear from any of you if you have any thoughts on this.

Oh, and Rachel, let me know if you would like to read a story I wrote a few months ago about an imigrant's laundry experience in this country. The English is a little weird, as usual, but I think it's a good story--if I may say so myself! I am also attaching a picture from my recent vacation...just an intimate dinner with 10 of our closest relatives (and, Olivia, *don't* say anything about Tulla's family dinner---I know how this looks!!!). You can see the city lights of Iraklion in the background, and the darkness below is the sea...it was so beautiful. Gotta love my dad though. Everyone was posing, but he was reaching for the grub.

Much love to all---see you at Bennigan's, I hope!


EM.

4 comments:

RaeS said...

LOL! I'm glad you enjoyed my recent post! Yes, I can't take credit for icanhascheezburger.com because my Aunt Stephanie found that one. I would love to find a way to connect it to Latin! ;D

I posted over on the facebook symposium about Bennigans for Friday the 13th. I don't have a myspace group for us, although, I probably should... So far, I haven't gotten much in the way of confirmations there, although I've posted a link for the blog in case people have lost it and said to check the blog for reunion details. I suppose we should figure out an exact time to meet there... Would 1 o'clock work for you?

Oh my goodness, even the thought of covering that much of Latin two in one week makes my head hurt! I don't know how they do it!

I would love to read your story, professor! And what an awesome photo! Can't wait to see more... I got my own photos of my recent trip back from Walgreens tonight. I'll try to get them on my computer and online sometime tomorrow, but I'll definitely bring them to the reunion on Friday.

RaeS said...

Oh, and btw, that "the voices in my head..." cat picture is really freaky! Funny, but freaky... ;D

E Pluribus Unum said...

What time on Friday? I work in the mall right next and I will be off work at 930pm.
Stacey Bedard

E Pluribus Unum said...

I have loved the lolcats since my friend intro'd them to me a few weeks ago. Absentminded me forgot most in the class loves cats and would prolly love the site...that and I just recently refound the user name and passy to the blog! But I would be able to do the 13th, either in the afternoon at 1 or the evening after 10...I have work but I have power to squidgle my schedule if needed. Looking at the date I can't beleive that it's going to be the Friday the 13th...interesting history on the date there if I recall correctly!
And all that Latin crammed into that short space of time? I couldn't wrap my mind around it! The vocabulary alone would have me stumbling, as I have a horrible memory! Good luck to all the summer Latin students!
Just let me know about the lunch thing so I can figure it all out please! Can't wait to see ya'll!
Stacy
p.s. where in the mall do you work Stacey?