Monday, March 19, 2007

Varia




Salvete Carissimi--




I have not posted for a while because I (thought I was) having trouble logging in, but I thought of you throughout the break, hoping that you would not have forgotten what we learned in class. And, thank goodness, you guys are in very good shape for Wednesday, so please keep up your reviews with the materials I gave out today and send me any questions you have, ok?
This is unrelated to Latin, but classics still--the highpoint of my spring break was seeing '300' ; what a deliciously camp, operatic, all-out production *that* was! I have shamed my Greekness though, cuz I got the biggest crush on Xerxes! That voice, those hands! But then I saw a picture of the actor as he is, and boy was that a disappointment. His name is Rodrigo Santoro. In any event, whether you are into digitally remastered washboard stomachs or not, the movie is definitely worth your time!

On another note, there is a classics talk this Thursday, 03.22 in the Grace Allen Room, on the 4th floor of the library. The speaker is Victoria Pagan, a classics prof. from UF in Gainesville, and she will talk about Roman gardens and their impact in modern literature. The talk is titled 'Gardens of Redemption: St. Augustine and John Maxwell Coetzee.'
Do make it if you can; I will add one point of extra credit on top of your final grade.


Mox,


EM.

8 comments:

RaeS said...

LOL! ... Xerxes scared me... Leonidas' reactions to him though amused me greatly.

I adore Gerard Butler! Did anyone happen to see him in the made for tv movie "Attila"? Or "Beowulf & Grendel"? Or the really awful "Timeline"? Or a number of other movies that I could also list but won't? ;D

E Pluribus Unum said...

Rachael--

Yes, you' re probably right, Xerxes was meant to be scary, not hunky...>sigh..> as the Romans would say, de gustibus non disputandum est! G. Butler was Leonidas right? Goodness he looked like he was born and raised in Greece, on 100% pure virgin olive oil. Is he British?
EM.

RaeS said...

Yeah, Gerard was Leonidas. He's Scottish actually... He was born in Glasgow and raised in Paisley, Scotland. He has the ability to look like a lot of things, I guess. He played Attila the Hun, Beowulf, Dracula (in "Dracula 2000"), and the Phantom in the film version of "Phantom of the Opera" (where he sings too!), and now Leonidas. The only thing I've ever seen him play a Scot in is "Timeline," where his character is very Scottish but has the name "Andre" (with an accent), which I found odd (though most of the movie is set in France).

Here's a picture from "Attila". That's Attila with the Emperor's sister... She's showing him a Roman bath for the first time...

Phantom.

Timeline.

Tomb Raider 2.

Dracula.

And my personal favorite: Beowulf.

E Pluribus Unum said...

wow, I have not seen such aesthetic versatility since Antony Quinn. Thank you very much!

E.

E Pluribus Unum said...

Oh! wow!! LOL... hahaha... Xerxes scares the crap outta me! heh! When he was standing behind Leonidas, I thought he was gonna get sabbed for sure... lol

Jeremy

RaeS said...

Anthony Quinn, yeah! He was an amazingly versatile actor as well!

RaeS said...

Oh, I forgot to add this... Several of my friends and I were sitting around yesterday after class trying to figure out where we'd all seen Rodrigo Santoro before. I know he's in "Lost" on ABC because I noticed him in an episode the week before last (I think it was). But there was something else and I couldn't think of what. Then it hit me: he was in "Love Actually" (one of my favorite movies) playing Karl, the guy who worked at the magazine and was in love with Laura Linney's character. He had very few lines in that, but he really didn't need to talk. LOL!

My friend Laura didn't believe me. We got into a huge argument until our friend Maria came back with her laptop and we could look it up on imdb.com. And indeed, I was right, he did play that guy in "Love Actually." Far less scary than Xerxes… ;D

E Pluribus Unum said...

Ha! Look at all these postings! I told you Xerxes was mesmerizing and you didn't believe me!

I' ll take Xerxes over that whimpy Karl any day of the millenium! I mean, his line 'for I am a generous and kind god' in that unreal digitized voice was, like, WOW!