Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Am I the only loser who looks up what their name means in those baby name books and such? My mom has one of those name plaques for me where it gives the origin of my name, along with the meaning and such. I knew this, but my name is said to come from the Latin word for olive, representing peace. Fitting, of course, because I'm a peaceful person (Stacey, I know you'll say something about that)... can anyone else find if their name has some possible Latin root?

Also, if anyone hasn't joined this group yet on Facebook, I highly recommend the group "A Good Latin Student Never Declines Sex (VI)." Hahahahaha, get it? Declensions, the number six in Latin... you know it's funny! Sorry Dr. M. if you lose respect point for me for that comment... afterall, I'm just a simple hobo (or boho, both work). :)

- Olivia

4 comments:

RaeS said...

You're totally not the only loser who does that, and in fact you're not a loser at all. My name means "ewe lamb" in Hebrew, as in "something that is very precious for it's value." kind of thing. So you could say "precious," "pure" or "dear" for my name as well. No Latin root for me... My middle names, Sara Louisa, are from Hebrew and Old German respectively.

I also look up other people's names in those baby name books and websites. I find it quite fun... I've been wondering what "Eleni" means, as all the baby name books I can seem to find have a distinctly Anglo bent to them with a side of the occasional native American, Arabian, or Eastern Asian name thrown in. No Greek though! (unless names from mythology count... which I say they don't really.) Something I find completely outrageous!

E Pluribus Unum said...

Please keep up the research, Rachael! I thought my name was as old as Homer's Iliad, because Helen's name is mentioned there spelled exactly like mine (epsilon lambda epsilon nou eta).

And no, Olivia (oliva, olivae, 1st!) I haven't lost any respect for any of you because I don't even know what facebook is. You will have to demonstrate!

Con affetto,

Your loyal Boho

Olivia said...

Teehee, my loyal boho...

Facebook is a ridiculous social networking website that we college kids cave in and join to waste time. That's basically it. :)

Of course, we do our Latin homework before we waste time. Hehe.

Olivia

RaeS said...

Ah! I thought it probably had a connection to "Helen," but since I never saw that spelled out I wasn't sure, and I thought it best not to assume. LOL!