Monday, April 20, 2009

Veni, Vidi, Vici.

I have really enjoyed working with Latin. Although, I must admit, there are times that I feel as if I sit and just stare at the paper at an utter loss of how to possibly translate what I'm reading into English. Despite this feeling, I never give up, for I know that after just a little bit of practice, it can be conquered.

Anytime I'm around my dad, and I speak of anything regarding this class, he always says to me "Veni, vidi, vici" and then proceeds to correct himself and say "O, no, that's Italian." Well this semester allowed me to learn that it is actually Latin! It was Italian that took it from Latin. This realization really made me enjoy Latin that much more. I continue to find random phrases of Latin in everyday places. Just knowing that I can now translate these common things that are otherwise overlooked is really awesome. It's also really cool to be able to point them out and inform others that have no background in Latin and wouldn't otherwise know what the saying meant.

-Alyssa Rigolo

1 comment:

E Pluribus Unum said...

Hey I know what you mean, I had to go to to this art museum, I think it was called the Rawling Museum, and there were a bunch of paintings from the Renaissance and what do you know, Latin phrases on the paintings! It was so neat to be able to read them and tell my girlfriend what they meant, although it made me feel like more of a dork than what I already am! lol.

-Robert Speich