Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Seeing Latin in Everyday Life

One of the joys of taking Latin occured recently when I began re-reading the Harry Potter series, and immediately started picking out all kinds of Latin words and their meanings. An example is in the first book where the password to the Gryffindor tower is "Caput Draconis" or head of the dragon.

I also see Latin usage everywhere, in articles and in English words themselves, and it is quite interesting to be able to pick them apart and understand the meanings and the language structure that makes them up.

Also, the theme of the Roman world throughout the text book has been interesting, because it allows for brushing up on some western culture and history while taking a language class. I appreciate being able to get a sense of Rome and Latin and how they have affected world history up to this point, in such a diverse range of countries. I am taking Russian as well as Latin, and noticing significant similarities between the two; as a result, learning both enables the languages to complement each other (though sometimes I mix them up as well) and has helped me grasp both.

-Christian Marble, Latin II

No comments: