Saturday, April 25, 2009

Latin in Rome


Last summer I attended an archaeological field school in Sicily and had a three-day layover in Rome on the way. I took this time to see some of the historic sites in the eternal city, though for anyone who wants to know how much time they should spend in Rome, three days was not nearly enough time to see everything. In that time, however, I did check out some of the ancient Roman ruins and buildings still standing. There were Latin inscriptions on several of the buildings, and I’ve included pictures of inscriptions on the Pantheon and on a fragment of the Coliseum. Unfortunately, I was not able to understand these and other Latin inscriptions that I saw throughout the city. However, hopefully when I return to Rome someday to do all the things that I didn’t get to do the first time around, my knowledge of Latin that I have acquired over the last two semesters will help me appreciate the experience more =)

Chris Griesbach

No comments: