Saturday, November 29, 2008

Latin Lover

I majored in Biomedical Sciences for a year before switching my major to Anthropology, and looking back I can definitely see how a background in Latin could help one understand medical terminology. In fact, understanding the Latin vocabulary can facilitate in building one's general English vocabulary and vice versa. I have been studying for the GRE recently and I have noticed how many of English vocab terms have Latin roots, which has aided my comprehension of both vocabulary for my GRE and for my Latin 1 class this semester. I think it is amazing how ancient languages such as Latin can find their way into modern ones such as English, even after all the changes English has undergone over the centuries.

-Chris Griesbach

1 comment:

E Pluribus Unum said...

Thank you, Chris, for contributing to the blog. I am always very interested in what the scientists among you have to say about Latin. Beyond the lingustic advantage of terminology, I am also hoping that science majors benefit from the intellectual gymnastics of Latin to apply some of that rigor and discipline onto their chosen field.

EM