Tuesday, November 25, 2008

I thought the Latin course was very interesting. The stories to translate were helpful because it allowed me to memorize the vocab and see the conjugations in a useful manner.
The Latin Lab was much more difficult when the answers were taken away, but I found it helpful in studying for the quizzes since you could take it over again.

I liked how Latin was so useful despite it being a dead language. I've taken Spanish before and found a lot of similarities between vocab and the way things are conjugated. That made it a lot easier to get through. Also a lot of English words have clear roots in Latin and since I am a creative writing major I found this incredibly useful. Most unusual words in English come from Latin or at least have a root that you can see. This has been helpful defining words both in English and Latin.

Latin is just something very different. It's one of the older languages and that fascinates me because it really had to be created from scratch. For all the cases and conjugations they have come up with it's very impressive.

I enjoyed this class and although it was tough making time to study for tests every week. I believe this kept me on top of my work though so that's not too bad.

-Ashley Kennedy

1 comment:

E Pluribus Unum said...

Thank you, Ashley, for adding to the blog. You are absolutely right that the complexity of Latin is astounding given how ancient a language it is. To this day, there are languages around the world with much smaller vocabulary, simpler structures, and less flexibility than Latin. I am not sure what is it that urges people to expand their minds to these various words and structures---or is it the other way around?

This, by the way, is not just a chicken or egg question! The links between perception and language use as the object of intense study by linguistics and philosophy (to name just two fields).

EM.