Sunday, December 2, 2007

Nunc Est bibendum, nunc pede libero pulsanda est tellus...


Salvete Omnes Carissimae Carissimique, excellentes discipuli!

Boy, can you tell I am in a mood? I cannot believe the semester is over---one more time beginning Latin, one more time all new and as if never done before...as Horace exhorts in the title of this message, now it is time to drink, now it is time to dance with free feet. We did this Ode in Latin III, it was written when Octavian defeated Cleopatra at Actium...remember how he finishes though, with that respect for the queen who chose to take her own life rather than be humiliated in Octavian's triumph.

So, all this by way of saying that I will be free this Friday for lunch (I don't think we can do something earlier, given the fact that we have to be in class at 1 and then at 2), so, Rachael, since you are the master of the ceremonies here, please put as together. Do you want to go to that place we went in the summer? It's not exactly Mediterannean, but it's pretty decent. I have a feeling we won't be entertained like the court of the Roman emperor Heliogabalus, who allegedly had 3 tons of rose petals shower his guests (here shown in a painting by Alma-Tadema, whom I adore). But since we carry the Roman world within, we will have a feast wherever we go! Latin is the ultimate movable feast.

Vestra,

E.

1 comment:

RaeS said...

Friday... I can do that. I'll get the word out as quickly as I can. Lunch... I think the majority of the people who e-mailed me and posted on the blog either didn't care where we went or said they'd like to try the new place, Ciccio & Tony's. I'll post a map to it from school. It isn't hard to find at all...