Wednesday, February 28, 2007

And now for something completely different...

This has nothing at all to do with Latin, but it has to do with Classics... kinda... sorta...

I ran out and bought Oliver Stone's "Alexander Revisited: The Final Cut" after class on Tuesday. It was a *requirement*... 45 minutes of never-before-scene footage involving either Colin Farrell, Jared Leto or both was *not* something I could resist for longer than it took to drive to the store after class. Who's a sucker for ancient Macedonian megalomaniacs, unattainable Irish bad-boys, and one particular "emo" singer with painfully pretty blue eyes? That would be me...

So I just had to come on here and say, it's *so* awesome! *Way* better than the theatrical cut of "Alexander." Much easier to understand, the storyline flows logically (amazing considering how schizophrenic the theatrical cut was), the sound is better, camera angles are better... Some scenes are entirely re-cut from scratch using completely different takes. The sequence of events/scenes is completely different. It's fabulous! I highly recommend it for anybody who is a fan of Alexander the Great.

Oh, and despite the fact that Hephaistion was lying there in the background dying, I was still (once again) mildly amused when Alexander said, "And then we'll move on Carthage. And that great island, Sicily. They'll pay large tribute! After that, the Roman tribe - good fighters. We’ll beat them!" If it had been put into any other scene, I would actually laugh when he says that.

There, I mentioned something having to do with Romans... ;D

I'm proud to say that I wasn't entirely irresponsible in my indulgence of fangirl tendencies. I did the homework for Latin, and cooked and ate dinner while watching the spectacle (thank goodness for the ability to multi-task). And then, I read The Aeneid excerpts... almost cried over Nisus and Euryalus. That was really sad... and oy, "their heads on pikes"?! ... Almost as bad as poor crazy Dido a few chapters ago, but at least I was expecting her tragic end... First, Hephaistion dying, then Alexander, and now those two, all in one evening... Oy! (The Aeneid is fiction, Rachael, it's fiction!)

Okay, I'm officially punchy and in need of sleep, and as done with all school work as I'm going to get tonight, so I'm heading for bed and I'll see y'all tomorrow in class! ... And thank you for indulging my not-so-slight obsession if you've actually read this far... Hopefully, I won't regret having posted this when I wake up... later this morning...

~ Rachael

P.S. - Is anyone else planning to see 300 the weekend of March 9th? I'm going with a few friends to see it, probably on Friday the 9th, but if anyone else is up for it as well, more friends are always welcome. Just let me know if you'd like to come with, k?

2 comments:

E Pluribus Unum said...

Rachael--

Can't wait to see 300!!! I will be visiting a friend in TX, where people take all such movies to me a political metaphor or something...he was telling me that peeps were actually applauding for 'Kingdom of Heaven'!

EM.

RaeS said...

Oy! "Kingdom of Heaven" was appalling... at least, I thought so... I mean Orli is pretty and all, but that was a modern movie set in the 12th century, trying to make modern points. The history and perspective were so completely off and skewed they might as well have had Abraham Lincoln show up at the Siege of Jerusalem... it wouldn't have made the movie any more wrong than it already was.

But "300" looks really good! I've been quite excited about it since I heard about it when Gerard Butler was cast. (I love Gerard Butler!) For some reason, movies that stylize history, like "300" and "Marie Antoinette," don't bother me one bit, but movies like "Kingdom of Heaven" make my eye twitch. LOL!

Have fun in TX!!