Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Knitting in Latin...

Hey y'all! Sorry I've been MIA for the last several weeks.

I found a knit lace Christening blanket that has Latin words knit into the lace. You can see pictures and read about it here.

Also, I'm hoping to start on a knitting project just as soon as I can get my hands on the yarn. A friend on the "Veni Vidi Nodavi" group in the Ravelry knitting community helped me out when I said that my dream Latin-Knitting project would be to make a bathmat based on the "Bene Lava" mosaic from Pompeii.



This friend has a computer program which will take images, such as this, and transforms them into knitting patterns. So that's what she did! She wants to make two of them, one for herself and one for her daughter who is learning Latin in high school. :D I'll be happy if I can just manage one, and I can't wait to start knitting it...


~Rachael

4 comments:

E Pluribus Unum said...

This is SO cool Rachael! You really do have an artistic gift! You should bring it to school when you finish it.

Anne

E Pluribus Unum said...

Rachael,

Great hearing from you---I'd love to see you some time in the office if you get the chance. The blanket is gorgeous, and so are the four cardinal virtues in there. I am copying them here with a quiz question: there is a spelling mistake there, can you find it?

SAPIENTA (wisdom)
ROBUR (strength)
MISERICORDIA (compassion)
RISUS (laughter)

It is funny that you posted the bene lava mosaic (which I love to) as I am getting into Chapter 8 next week (the imperatives). Meeting twice a week is *rough* on the newbies, but they are real troopers! Learning the third declension in two seatings was no small feat of strength! Let's see how the imperatives will work out. Wish me luck, moritura te salutat!

EM.

E Pluribus Unum said...

It should say sapientia, with an i!!! : )

Anne

RaeS said...

Oh my! How awful that there's a mistake in the spelling... There's no fixing it now.

Thanks, Anne! :D

Good luck, professor (and Beginning Latin students too)!

I'll try to make it in to the office tomorrow, but I have been so busy and I've got several errands that need doing tomorrow, so I can't say I'll be able to make it for sure. Maybe Thursday...