Monday, March 3, 2008

Idus Martiae

My husband and I eloped on the Ides of March, 5 years ago. I picked that date so that my husband would never forget the day, as he would always "Beware the Ides of March," so to speak. :)

Since this is our first "big" marriage milestone, we are commemorating the date with a Roman theme; we're taking a second honeymoon to Italy this summer and celebrating the actual anniversary here at home with a sort of Roman flair. As such, I would like to come up with a really nice gift to give to him, but my brain is drawing a blank (which it has been doing often lately, especially with translation of verbs, but I digress). I've flipped ahead in the Latin II book to the section about Horatia's marriage (I can't believe she marries Decimus!) for inspiration, but the only thing I could come up with is getting his ring inscribed with "ubi tu Gaius, ego Gaia."

So I figured that I would pop on over to this blog and try to pick some other minds for ideas. I would greatly appreciate it!

- Sara C.

1 comment:

E Pluribus Unum said...

Sara,

The ring sounds like a wonderful idea---anything in Latin speaks of eternity and authority! You would need the date of your wedding in Latin too, I love those Roman numerals...I will keep thinking of other ideas for a lovely Roman present (if you will be in Rome a Vespa motorino is great---but what will he do with it in this country?!)

Yes, the first time I taught this book I couldn't believe that Decimus "call me Asinus" would marry Horatia. The dating scene of Venusia at the time must have been pretty limited...let's face it: arranged marriages were the norm, as in fact they are in many traditional, non-western societies today.