Saturday, February 16, 2008

Yeah, I'm a dork. I know it.

I found this while looking for something to better share the awesomeness of the Blue Oyster Cult song "(Don't Fear) the Reaper," which I mentioned in the comments for Prof. M's "More Art" post. But blogger doesn't allow videos to be posted in comments, so... I'll do it here...

Anyway, so I found this fan-made video for the episode "In My Time of Dying," which was the premiere episode of the second season of Supernatural, set to the song. I think it can be understood even if you don't watch the show. And you can, of course, just play it to hear the song. It's not the most rockin' version of the song that I've heard (that would be this one live version I have), but it's the original 1976 recording. I really enjoy the guitar and the drums and how they play against the lyrics. In the live version, it's almost like the lead guitar is the voice, crying and screaming, and the drums are the heartbeat, racing, pushing forward in time. There's a fatalism in the live version that just moves me strongly. But I couldn't find the live version in a format that I could post here. Only this one. So it will have to do. Even though, all of those things that I love so much about the live version are much more subdued and mellow in the 1976 studio rendition.



(It seems the video may have stopped working... very disappointing because it's been on YouTube for over a year.)

If you want to know what's going on in this episode of Supernatural (to better understand that part of the video): Sam, Dean and their dad, John, (played by Jeffery Dean Morgan who was in the movie P.S. I Love You recently, and also on the show Gray's Anatomy at some point) got into a really bad car accident... The side of their '67 Impala was hit full-on by an 18-wheeler truck (it happens...). So at the beginning of this episode, Dean was in a coma and dying. His disembodied spirit was walking the halls of the hospital, trying to figure out a way to save himself, but he had company in the spirit world - a Reaper who was stalking him. (Hence, the song chosen for this video...) But John couldn't sit and do nothing about it, couldn't sit and watch his son die, so he made a deal to save Dean's life. He gave up his own life to the Demon who had killed his wife 23 years before. In exchange, the Demon possessed the Reaper and gave Dean his life back. Oh, and the gun that's featured in this video is the demon-killing 1835 Colt Paterson revolver I talked about before... the one that has "non timebo mala" engraved into the barrel. :D

Okay, I've babbled more than enough for one weekend. Much more than enough. Valete!

~Rachael

Addendum: Supernatural will be on this Thursday at 8pm and at 9pm (that's right, two episodes). The first one will be "Nightshifter," which is not really that scary, so don't not watch because you think you'll be scared, and the second is "Jus In Bello," the new episode that I posted clips from several days ago, which has Sam speaking some lines of a Latin exorcism like it's a second language. (If you recall, Sam was the one who did pay attention in Latin class.) That probably makes me way more happy than it should... LOL!

Also... more clips... just because:

"In My Time of Dying" the "Full on Swayzied that mother" clip:


And here's the part with the Ouija board:



:D

8 comments:

E Pluribus Unum said...

I love this song too! and the only way it could be any cooler is if it did say, Caesars don't fear the reaper!

-Anne

E Pluribus Unum said...

LOL! It's so true!

E Pluribus Unum said...

... that was me, btw.

~Rachael

E Pluribus Unum said...

WOW!

That was a great song---Rachael, I have a question: can the brother see the Reaper (who, btw, looks like a Dementor straight out of Harry Potter)??

Now that's a tough thing the father did---I mean, hand your soul to a demon like that? *That's* why I never want to have kids! Just in case some demon asks for my soul to save my Greek-American brat! I'd be like, well, at least he got the citizenship and the passport~ cant't I keep my soul??!!

And, "Caesars don't fear the Reaper" is what the Romans would call a Felix Culpa! Because truly, the millenia have proved them right---Caesar, Augustus, and even Caligula and Nero, have nothing to fear from the Reaper! They are alive and well-in fact, I will see them later in the office. More soon,

EM.

E Pluribus Unum said...

Dr. M., you are too funny! Greek-American brat? I love it.

-Anne

RaeS said...

:D

Sort of like the Dementors, I suppose, yeah...

By "the brother," do you mean Sam? Because, no, Sam can't see the Reaper. Only Dean can because the Reaper is after him, and wants him to see her (she's also that dark-haired girl... she was trying to trick him into thinking that she was someone disembodied, just like him).

Sam can, however, sense that Dean's spirit is around. See, he's just a little bit psychic. He can sense that there's something more going on in the scene where Dean tries to grab the Reaper and gets thrown back against the wall. And he also knew something was going on, because just like Patrick Swayze in "Ghost," Dean got upset that Sam and their father were arguing and he knocked a glass of water across the room, after which he said to himself, "Dude, I full on Swayzied that mother." (LOL!) But all this is why Sam pulls out that Ouija board and Dean is able to answer his questions through it. That's how Sam finds out that there's a Reaper in the hospital.

Very tough thing that he did, yes. All John had left of his wife were his sons and he couldn't watch either one of them die, so he made the deal he made. Just like this season, Dean sold his soul to a demon to bring Sam back from the dead, after Sam's spinal cord was severed, because he just could not live with Sam being dead, no matter what he had to loose to get him back. (you see why I say they're kinda like Castor and Pollux?) But don't worry about John. He might be have died and his soul might have been captured by demons in Hell, but... LOL! Even demons and Hell can't keep John Winchester down.

Also, what Anne said. Too funny! LOL! And you're exactly right about the Caesars, Professor!

E Pluribus Unum said...

Ouija boards really freak me out. I'll have to tell you the story sometime Rachael, you would probably like it. I, on the other hand, wish I could forget it.

-Anne

E Pluribus Unum said...

You're not alone. Ouija boards freak me out too!

~Rachael