Friday, January 25, 2008

So... We all know that my favorite show is Supernatural on the CW, as I have oft posted of it before, right?... It's been on a cruel and drawn out hiatus since the beginning of December due to the Writers' Strike. But this next Thursday, it's back! 9pm. CW. Set your DVRs. (LOL! I know you won't, but I still think you should at least think about it.) This week's episode is called "Malleus Maleficarum" (which references this). So indeed, the Powers That Be of Supernatural love me; they made the episode title Latin (because up until two weeks ago, the published name of the episode was "Witch Hunt").

I was just sent an e-mail with a link to a video clip from the episode. No Latin in it. But I'm too excited not to post it everywhere I can, just because. So if you'll indulge my obsessions a moment:



If you watched it, but you don't watch the show, you might not have understood what was going on there because this clip was really random. That's okay. I just couldn't stop myself. I'm sure there will be some kind of Latin in this episode. There are evil-working black-magic-type witches who live in Massachusetts in it. It seems they've hexed Dean... And if I have anything to do about it, I will post clips of scenes with Latin in them sometime the week after next probably. Facere quod in se est and all that.

After two more new episodes, near the end of February, there will be another episode of Supernatural with a title in Latin. That one is "Jus In Bello." "Law In War," ne? And that will be the last new episode of Supernatural until the Writers' Strike ends. I'm sad about that, but excited to see it.

~Rachael

4 comments:

E Pluribus Unum said...

hmm...."evil witches have hexed Dean"???? Now *that*'s the last thing I expect to hear in a Latin class! But that's only proof of how far-reaching Latin is, so, Rachael, keep updating us on the Supernatural!

BTW, any comments on Caesar? How do you guys (intermediate) like him so far?

Speaking of Caesar, I was introduced to this Greek-Cuban the other day whose name is Cesar (accented on the A). I just stood there, agape, and wanted to exclaim "You rule, man! you conquered the entire Gaul, you crossed over to Britain! Venisti, vidisti, vicisti!" But I think he would have been scared if I unloaded on him all the glory that was Caesar so I kept it shut and turned my thoughts to intermediate Latin instead. xoxo

RaeS said...

LOL! Yep, looks like Dean's in big trouble this week... And, yes, I'll be sure to keep updating about Supernatural. ;D

I've got the translation for tomorrow done. I'm not sure how I feel about Caesar, even after all the translation we've done (which I realize is not much, but it sure feels like a lot!). His sentence structures seem tricky to me.

About your Cesar reaction - LOL! OMG, Professor! Yeah, I think not saying all that was probably a good move. You're too much!

susannah eanes said...

not the best Latin student, but i had to comment on the Jus in Bello thingy.

Jus in Bello is the ancient "Code of War," which basically says, thou shalt not do unearthly things to thine enemy.

RaeS said...

I will be interested to see how Jus In Bello is defined in Supernatural! Since the enemies are kinda unearthly...