Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Beginning


Carissimae discipulae, discipulique

Ok, now that I can finally communicate with you without bursting into uncontrollable sobs, I thought to write a note to say goodbye before I go home on Tuesday (I have to see it in writing to believe it!). I will be lying if I tell you that I have completely recoved emotionally from the last time I saw you all together. I confess, that day was ROUGH, and your kindness, your surprise, and the beautiful gifts made it so intense I swear I was hearing my heart beat against my ear drums or something. I am currently wearing the tiny clock as a necklace, from its chain, and you are right, it DOES keep me on time. I am still unable to look at the plaque without tearing up, so I have postponed hanging it on the wall until I can deal with this in a better way...I meant what I said that day, that you guys have been hands down the best class I have ever taught, the funniest, the happiest, the warmest and yes, the smartest too. I was very pleased to give you all the good grades that you deserved. Teaching you reminded me every day why I have stayed in this country for a good decade, why I fight the daily impulse to jump on the next plane and go home. Years of difficulties are worth it for a single day like the one I had on your final.

I was saying that I am writing this to say goodbye, and yet goodbye does not seem quite appropriate. I know I will see a lot of you in Latin III, and even though I will miss sorely those who won't come, I hope to hear from you on the blog or over e-mail. I hold you onto your promise to have a reunion in July, and yes we will take pictures since I won't be crying by then (I hope!). (Candace, you promised you will erase that one you took, I must look like somebody died or something). Olivia, I am publicly holding you up to your promise to post wedding pics here; Rachael, keep us posted on your various artifacts and don't forget those utube videos; Mia, you do the same. I too will send pics from Crete--my dad tells me my cat has just had a litter, I cannot believe I am such a young and hip grandma already! And so, all is well with the world, amici; I cannot wait to be a part of the next phase of your lives--which reminds me, if any of you wants any references for summer internships and what not, please e-mail me and I will get in touch within 3 days or so (the goats don't have daily internet access!)

Much love to all,

Eleni

3 comments:

E Pluribus Unum said...

Me again; Rachael thanks for that funny panty pic and telling us about the clothesline project (I want to hear more about this). In Crete very few homes have a dryer, so clotheslines are not a project, they are IT!! Ditto for Jordan and the Aesop's fables. That's what I am talking about, keep in touch with whatever you got!

Eleni

RaeS said...

Aww! Prof. M, I'm glad that you're enjoying the watch. We were all hoping that you would. And I'm glad that you like the plaque, although I hope that you will get to the point where looking at it doesn't make you cry very soon.

I think we're still trying to figure out when we can get together in July. When is it that you'll return from your trip again?

I'll be sure to keep posting about whatever comes to mind. I'm working on a blanket for my little sister's baby right now. He's due in mid-August and he'll be my first nephew. So I'm knitting a blanket for him and I'm going to dye it blue with indigo, just like blue jeans. When I'm done with it, I'll be sure to post pictures.

And I'll post pictures of our new laundry line too! ;D That's really cool that most people use lines instead of dryers on Crete. I hope that lines continue to be the norm there. It's so much better for the environment and for the clothes themselves. I'll post news about Project Laundry List when it happens. Anyone who wants to can also go to the website ( http://www.laundrylist.org - look for "join our e-mail list" at the top of the page) and sign up for the quarterly newsletter. The newsletter is full of laundry tips, stories and letters about hanging laundry from people who frequent the website, and artists who make art about hang-drying laundry, as well as other interesting things. I know for a fact that Susan would *love* to hear about clotheslines on Crete! She really wants information about laundry from all over the world. So if you care to share anything about it, personal experiences, childhood memories, impressions, or even pictures, please do e-mail her at editor@laundrylist.org .

Kittens, how wonderful! What a homecoming gift! Please post pictures of Crete. I look forward to seeing whatever you have to share. And say "hello" to the goats for me!

Have a wonderful and safe trip, Prof. M!

RaeS said...

I talked to my biological mom Susan again and told her about what you said about clotheslines in Crete and she says, "Yes, I would really like to hear from her and if she could send images, that would be even better. We like to collect images of billowing laundry in little Alpine villages, Italy, Bohemia, you name it. Crete would be just another "smart" place to add to the laundry-hanging list." So if you have the time and the inclination and happen to find any cute laundry lines... or even not-so-cute laundry lines, Project Laundry List would love to hear about them or see a photo. They really do collect photos: http://www.laundrylist.org/art/gallery/index.htm and http://www.laundrylist.org/art/installations.htm .

I hope you're having a wonderful time at home in Crete! ;D