Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Clarity

First year latin for me is going much better than I expected. I originally chose the class in hopes that it would improve my vocabulary. Furthermore, I imagined it would help tremendously with word root recognition since I'm a biomedical science major. However, to my surprise, it has done much more than this; it is beginning to truly shape my understanding of english grammer. I honestly was not expecting to learn about english when I undoubtedly enrolled for latin. But each time we learn something new in class: a new declension, a new conjugation, a new case; we also learn its equivalent in english - something I barely skimmed over in middle school english classes. Learning how to properly use these new latin words in their correct forms and context has shed some light on the english language for me. I really think it'll enable me to become a better english speaker & writer, and am pretty excited to continue tackling the subject.

Kim

2 comments:

E Pluribus Unum said...

Kim, et alii cari,

This is one of the best kept Latin secrets, that I don't divulge because it will sound like I am speaking from my soap box or something! The truth is that because Latin grammar is so precise and rigid and intense, it forces a certain discipline on the mind which is very applicable and easily transferrable to any other academic areas or skills. Keep up the good work and I will see you tomorrow,

EM

E Pluribus Unum said...

I felt the same way. My english grammar has improved tremendously! My mother is overjoyed let me tell you. Good luck!

Jessica