Wednesday, October 3, 2007

I-stems make me sad

I really am having a lot of trouble with the whole I-stem thing. Other than just straight up memorizing which ones are which I really want to understand the method behind the madness. I get that it's only 3rd declension nouns that take it. And I get that there are two 'cases' in which a 3rd declension noun requires this i-stem. The rest is...um, yeah. I have the hand out that Professor M gave us, and "it's all Greek to me!" (too bad it's not Latin, ne? might stand a better chance...) Help? Please keep answers as monosyllabic as possible (which is ironic because I know that's somehow the key to all of this).


On a really unrelated note, I work at a paint-your-own-pottery studio, and I've recently been considering painting stuff with Latin phrases on it. I'll let y'all know if I do! :)

-Lauren O.
(the girl who talks a lot)

2 comments:

RaeS said...

You should totally paint things with Latin on them! That would be awesome! And totally geeky in the best kind of way...

Also, I promise the i-stems will make sense after we get together to study on Sunday... Too bad that you can't make it to my office hour tomorrow, but that's alright. There is a method to the madness and you will be able to get it, I promise... You'll get to the point where you won't even have to think about it. You'll just look at a word and go, "yeah, that's an i-stem."

To everyone else who might read this between now and tomorrow at 3pm. I will be, as usual, available to answer questions from 3pm - 4pm in room 279 in Cooper. The room is in the same part of the building as all the other Classics Department offices and such...

~Rachael, persistent Latin 3 student and Latin 1 TA.

E Pluribus Unum said...

Lauren,

I agree with Rachael that this is a very easy question, and that those poor -i stem nouns would be very sad themselves if they knew how much distress they have caused you! I can't go into it over the blog, but if you can spend 5 minutes with me so that I can show you the stems, you will see how easy it is.

Come to me!

EM.