Saturday, August 18, 2007

question about Latin 1

Hey Prof M!

Not sure when you might check this since it's between the summer and fall semesters, but... My oldest friend in the world (I've known her since she was 6 and I was 8; it's like we're sisters) will be attending USF for her MA in Creative Writing starting this semester. She needs to take a foreign language (not for grad credit, but in preparation for a PhD) and she's decided she wants to take Latin. Of course, after hearing what I had to tell her, she says she can't take Latin 1 with any other prof, but of course, your Latin 1 class is totally full. I assume that your advice for her would be for her to show up on the first day of class and hope that people don't show up or drop the class so she can maybe get in? I told her that I'd ask, so I am...

~Rachael

PS - I hope you're enjoying your break from teaching. :D

3 comments:

E Pluribus Unum said...

Rachael!

I am sorry I didn't see this earlier---I have been consummed with work, trying to do as much research as I can in this time before the semester starts. Thank you thank you thank you for all the recommendation (props!) that you' ve given out! I don't know what to advise here since there is a section in Latin that is not full, and in fact it needs all the people that it can get since it is in danger of closing down due to the budget cuts. The instructor is a great guy, a grad student of Roman history. I am not sure how many peeps will fall off the roster after the first day of classes (=me holding court as the queen of mean) so it would be kind of dicey for her to stake out her opportunity to take Latin this semester. Let me know what you think, and do write me an e-mail if you need more info on that other section (it's all in OASIS of course).

E.

RaeS said...

That's okay, professor. I only posted it yesterday. :D

haha! You, "the queen of mean"?

k, I'll let her know what you said. Thanks very much.


~Rachael

RaeS said...

Well, I let her know about the open class and she checked it out, but it's at the same time as one of her graduate classes, so there's no way that will work for her. She's still hoping to be able to get into your Latin 1 class, so she'll be there on day one and stalk the class on OASIS to try to get in an opening.