Saturday, February 14, 2009

Cicero, Maybe He's Not That Bad

I’ve never been a fan of Cicero. To be quite honest, I agree with the removal of Cicero’s hands and head. There might have been cheering when I first learned the most important aspects of the orator were placed on the Rostra. How’s that for irony? I can safely say that a lot of this enjoyment stems from the fact that I’m imperialist and Cicero so clearly represents the republic. Cicero asserts as much in the 1st Catilinarian. When he dies, so does the republic.

So no, I wasn’t excited to be translating Cicero because of my previous thought on the man, but I must admit I enjoy his letters. Mostly those to his friend Atticus. Although they can be a challenge to translate because of their idioms, short hand, and Cicero’s fondness for omitting certain verbs, they’re oddly sobering. Here is a raw, exposed Cicero. I enjoy his jokes and sarcastic remarks to Atticus. I wish to know the other side of this running banter. Now that I’m privy to his personal letters, I’m actually looking forward to translating his treaty on Friendship. What type of friend did this man seek? What character traits where honored above others? How did somebody make a friend when the republic was collapsing? It shall prove interesting to see how Cicero handles friendship when his friendships didn’t always end pleasantly.

Shannon Ness

1 comment:

E Pluribus Unum said...

I have to agree with you Shannon. Cicero's Latin is challenging and translating his letters is more often than not, a time-consuming chore. His style, replete with idioms and challenging grammar has frustrated me on more than one occassion. But then again, nothing worthwhile is ever easy. For those who are willing to take the time and study Cicero are able to open themselves up to a remarkable time in the history of Western civilization. What I enjoy about translating Cicero's texts and going over them in class discussion is that they provide invaluable insights into the history of the events taking place from a firsthand account during the first century BCE. One gets a sense of a man trying to make not only a name for himself in the political sphere, but who is trying to make the best out of a bad situation in order to save the Republic from impending disaster. Outside of politics, I've come to admire what Cicero has contributed to the intellectual climate of Rome during his lifetime by introducing Greek philosophy in a very big way to the city.

Rome is referred to as the 'Urbs Aeterna.' With that in mind, I look forward to reading more about the Cicero and his writings. I want to learn more about the man who contributed so much to the political and social fabric of Rome that helped to make her worthy of the name 'Eternal City.'

Jay Smith