Sunday, February 15, 2009

Cicero: Half man, Half amazing

When I first started to read the 1st Catilinarian, i rapidly began to resent Cicero, solely on the fact that I was spending my nights and very early mornings with him on a regular basis. However, when I took a step back and realized the historical significance of what he has provided for us and the volume of work that has survived for over 2000 years, i soon began to appreciate the importance of this man. His enormous contributions to Roman history and the Latin language are unrivaled to this day. As an avid historian, his contemporary accounts on the volatile Late Republic are priceless and provide a vital, although highly biased, into the daily workings in Rome

For me, the most interesting sides of Cicero that i have encountered are the ones presented in his letters. It is rather interesting to truly see how direct of a connection there was between Cicero's death and the death of the Republic. His borderline omniscient prediction of the Republic collapsing when he meets his death, was simply astonishing to see come true. It also seems like he and the Republic share a mental connection. As we progress through the letters, Cicero's mood and general disposition seem to mirror that of the climate in Rome. Although part of me is glad he is dead, as punishment for my late nights, it is a true joy to read historical facts from a true contemporary and to directly follow the decline and fall of the Republic through the man so closely attached.


Brett Collins

1 comment:

E Pluribus Unum said...

I have to agree with Brett. While translating Cicero's writings can be extemely frustrating and time consumming, once you've gotten over that aspect, the process is very rewarding. When I began translating, I thought that I would most enjoy the Catilinarian for its rhetorical content and historical value, however I now have a far greater appreciation, and perhaps a greater understanding, of Cicero on account of his letters.
The chaos and uncertainty of the late Roman Republic can be traced through Cicero's letters. In addition, the glimpse of Cicero's private relationships allows for a deeper analysis of how friendships and personal alliances functioned in Rome. For these reasons, I am able to take far more from Cicero than merely what he had to say to his friends and family.

Andrea Johnson