Saturday, May 31, 2008

Maxima

We got a new puppy yesterday! She's a German Shepherd. We're trying to figure out her AKC registration name now. Her father's name on his AKC registration papers is "Argus Maximus," but they call him "Max." My mom wants to call our puppy "Maxie"... So I'm thinking "Maxima" should go on her papers, just like "Maximus" on her father's papers. But the breeder we got her from requires all the puppies for each litter to have AKC names that begin with the same letter, that way they can easily identify which litter each of their puppies comes from in the registry. Maxie's litter letter is "N." So I've been tryng to find a Latin word that we can use that starts with "N" (even if it's not a word that would have been used as a name)... I've been asking friends to pick their favorites from a list that I compiled and it's now tied with five votes for "Nova" and five votes for "Nitida" and also 3 votes for "Nivea" and no votes for anything else. I've had several people point out that "Nova" and "Maxima" are both cars, and that "Nivea" is a handcream. LOL! So I'm leaning toward "Nitida." What do y'all think?

Also, pictures:






~Rachael

Addendum: We've decided on "Nitida Maxima" for her AKC papers.

2 comments:

E Pluribus Unum said...

She is adorable, Rachael! I like Maxima. It's a pretty name. I can't believe her father's name was "Argus Maximus", did the breeder take Latin 1 from the Oxford books! Wasn't Quintus' dog named Argus? Too funny!

-Anne

RaeS said...

Thank you, Anne! :D Yeah, it was Quintus' dog's name! My mom said that the breeder just called him that. What a coincidence, huh?

Yeah, "Maxima" is definitely it. I'm basically trying to decide whether the name on her papers will be "Nitida Maxima" or "Nova Maxima" since those are the two with the most (and an equal number of) votes from among my friends whom I've asked thusfar.