Monday, August 3, 2009

A question...

So... I sometimes pick random passages in Latin and try to decipher every bit of the grammar and how each word functions in the sentence, et cetera. (I promise, it's only when I'm bored and feeling quite geeky.)

Today, I'm stumped on this one...

"... quia fortis est ut mors dilectio
dura sicut inferus aemulatio..." (from the Vulgate translation of Song of Solomon)

"... Because love is as strong as death
Envy as hard as hell..."

Why are "mors" and "inferus" in the nominative? (They are in the nominative, aren't they?) I'm assuming that it has something to do with this being verse, but I'm still wondering if there's a particular reason.


~ Rachael

2 comments:

E Pluribus Unum said...

Rachael,

Would you do me the honor of cutting and pasting this question in the "forum" section of the new Latin forum in Ning? I will be more than happy to write you back there and launch my new baby!

Tua magistra,

E.

E Pluribus Unum said...

Of course!