Monday, August 25, 2008

Welcome to Latin


Dear all,


This is a note to welcome you to this space, where you can post any thoughts you have on our classes, on Latin in general, on the Roman world, or on how any of these things interact with your academic careers and lives (you can post anonymously, if you do not care for the extra credit).


This blog is now a little more than two years old (we lost the 2006 postings due to the switch of blogspot into gmail...I am still upset about that!). It has followed the vagaries of the lives of those who participate in it. People, including myself, come in and fade out of it from time to time, but these notes and pictures show that Latin is a wonderful shared experience which casts unexpected light on the mundane experiences of every day.


If any of the old students is still reading this (shout out to Rachel, Anne, Olivia, Mia, Jeremy, Tracy, Sarah, and the rest of the Latin gang) feel free to keep posting---the login and pswd have stayed the same. I am looking forward to another year of Latin, always ancient and poised and always as new and exciting as it has ever been. See you all tomorrow---and let the games begin!


Yours,


EM.

9 comments:

RaeS said...

I'm most certainly still reading and posting, Dr. M! :D

Anonymous said...

Me too! The Latin blog lives on! I think your faithful students will keep reading and posting no matter where their academic journeys take them- Anne

E Pluribus Unum said...

Ha! You girls are fantastic---I cannot believe you still read it! Rachael, I was showing it the other day to the new crop, on a projector, and your 'Supernatural' post came up; so I asked them to tell me what those have to do with Latin; and they knew!!

Clearly you have hit the spot there!

More soon,

EM.

RaeS said...

That's awesome, professor! *claps* I'm so happy about that! :D

Sara C. said...

Hi Professor! I still pop by to check here every now and then; I'm feeling utterly lost being out of school and all.

To any and all Latin lurkers out there, you should definitely post! It's really fun and I promise that everyone else doesn't bite.

E Pluribus Unum said...

Sara!

Did you get the job that I sent that letter for?! Come back to Latin, please! Missing you greatly, and all those Gothic books and games you posted here!!

EM

Sara C. said...

Unfortunately I was not able to get a full-time teaching job for the school year; I am currently a substitute teacher, but that is terribly unfulfilling right now. :(

And trust me, I'm definitely missing Latin class (and school in general). I'd more than gladly deal with jussive noun clauses than simply turning on a video for a disinterested class to watch.

RaeS said...

I'm sorry you didn't get that full time job, Sara! I'm going to be subbing as soon as all my paperwork is in, assuming that they hire me. *fingers crossed*

shequera said...

I have not studied or looked at Latin since high school which was ages ago. I'm trying to learn Latin because I believe it will open doors for me.